Please note that the main doctoral application submission period at the University of Edinburgh has an annual deadline at the end of January (for an entry in the Autumn of the same calendar year). If interested in any of the following opportunities, feel free to contact me in advance of that deadline.
2020 PhD Studentships at the Institute for Astronomy – Highlighted theme: Milky Way and Local Group
within the general admission process of the School of Physics and Astronomy, as described here. Possible funding options are listed here.
Applicants interested in Data-Intensive Science may also consider the STFC Centre for Doctoral Training ScotDIST.
2020 PhD Studentships at MAC-MIGS
Applicants interested in Mathematical and Computational Modelling are particularly encouraged to apply for this new EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training.
Other PhD research projects may be conducted within the Applied and Computational Mathematics Group, according to the general admission process of the School of Mathematics, as described here. Possible funding options are listed here.
Additional external (internationally competitive) doctoral funding schemes
- Bell Burnell PhD Scholarship (Physics, applicants of any nationality from underrepresented groups)
- Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowships (Aereospace, applicants identifying as women of any nationality)
- Carnegie PhD Scholarships (All disciplines, applicants of any nationality with an Honours degree from Scotland)
- Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships (Science and Tech, applicants from Canada, India, Japan, USA, Pakistan or China)
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (Science and Tech, applicants from selected Commonwealth countries)
- Marshall Scholarships (All disciplines, applicants from United States)
- US-UK Fulbright Scholarships (All disciplines, applicants from United States)
For advanced (or recently completed) doctoral students interested in visiting research appointments of up to one year
- NSF International Research Experiences for Students (All disciplines, applicants from United States)
- US-UK Fulbright Postgraduate Student Award (All disciplines, applicants from United States)
- Canon Foundation Fellowship (All disciplines, applicants from Japan)
- ‘Blanceflor Boncompagni Ludovisi née Blidt’ Foundation Boursary (Selected STEM subjects, applicants from Italy and Sweden)
- ‘Angelo Della Riccia’ Foundation Fellowship (Theoretical Physics, applicants of any nationality with a degree from Italy)
- Istituto Lombardo di Science e Lettere Bursaries and Awards (Selected STEM subjects, History, Literature, applicants residing in Lombardy, Italy)